These three T-shirt Doggie Toys are a real favorite with the Dogs! They just love the chewable quality of these recycled beauties. I bet you can guess what motivated me to make these T-shirt Doggie Toys…..Yes….. I had leftover t-shirt scraps from when I made my rainbow T-shirt rug on another of my other post. Being an avid recycler, I just couldn’t bring myself to throw those T-shirt scraps away.
My second motivation was I have a sweet, lovable and playful doggie whom I knew would love some new toys. I rescued her last September. Actually, she rescued me after I lost my beloved dog Diesel last year. I guess the rescue was a little bit of both…..we rescued each other! Anyway, my baby’s name is Basil and she is the most loving, attention grabbing little thing you’ve ever seen. I made these for her and….she loved them!
You will be pleasantly surprised at how much your dog will love this toy. Especially if it’s made from you and your family members old t-shirts. The scent of their loved ones will make this toy that much more enjoyable for them. A dog can play fetch for hours! You will be tired way before your pooch is. Well, let’s get started!
1. The Simple-T-shirt Dog Toy “The Noodle”
- 2-3 Old T-shirts
- Cut the T-shirts into three fairly wide strips (2 inches) & approximately equal lengths.
- Determine the width and length of the strips by the size of dog you are making the toy for. A larger dog will require longer wider strips. For a smaller dog, you can the strips can be more narrow and shorter.
- Tie all three strips into one large knot at the end.
- Braid the three strips together tightly.
- When you have achieved the length you were aiming for… Tie another big knot at this end.
2. The Moderate Skills T-shirt Dog Toy “The pulling line”
- 1 Old T-shirt
- 1 Tennis Ball
- Cut the T-shirt into 9 strips that are few feet long. Start at the bottom hem and cut across. You will have 9 circles, cut them in half to make 9 longer strips.
- Tie all a knot with all the strips. Braid the T-shirt strips with 3 groups with 3 strands in each group.
- Cut a hole on each end of the tennis ball and thread the braid through the tennis ball. Continue braiding the strips to the end.
- To complete the toy tie a tight knot with all the strips.
3. The Intermediate Skills T-shirt Dog Toy “The Camp Lanyard”
- 2 Old T-shirts (in 2 different colors)
- Needle & Thread
- This one is based on that skill you learned in summer day camp. Making lanyards.
- Cut the T-shirt strips 2.5 inches wide.
- Cross the strips over each other to create the lanyard start square.
- The two different colored strips will form into a square with alternating colors.
- Pull the strips under each other and tighten them.
- Continue until the lanyard is the desired length.
- If you want to make the toy longer sew strips together using the needle and thread.
- At each end make sure you tie strong knots to make it a challenge for your dog to tear up.
The pictures shown above resemble my projects and are not my actual toys. My photos, unfortunately, had technical difficulties.