If you’ve had sopapillas before, than you know what I mean when I say they are addictive. If you haven’t, they’re similar to a churro or sugar and cinnamon fried doughnut. The fantastic thing about this recipe, if you’re trying to staying away from fried foods but still love Sopapillas, you’ve hit gold! You might have to do a few more crunches to work off the extra calories and carbs, but it’s will be worth it in the end. This dessert would be a great end to a yummy Mexican themed dinner, or the main course, I won’t judge. The other plus it’s way more simple to make than it looks like!
- 4 Cups of Namaste Foods, Perfect Blend Flour (All-Purpose)
- 2 Tsp Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 Cup Organic Butter or Shortening (1/4 softened, 1/4 melted)
- 1 1/2 Cups Room-Temperature Filter Water
- 1 1/2 Cups (12oz) Organic Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 Cups Organic Cane Sugar (set aside the 1/4 cup)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla (make your own!)
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and 1/4 softened butter.
- Add in warm water to mixture and mix batter until smooth and no clumps.
- Cover and let sit for 20 minutes
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- In a medium bowl mix together softened cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, vanilla until smooth and slightly fluffy.
- Grease with butter or oil of choice a 9×13 glass pan (casserole dish).
- Once dough has sat for 20 min, split dough in half.
- Take one half of the dough and press into the bottom of the 9×13 pan and make it go up the sides slightly.
- Put the cream cheese and sugar mixture on top of the bottom layer and spread out until it covers the entire bottom of top of dough.
- Roll out the other half of dough to the same size as the pan and transfer to the top of the cream cheese and push the edges up to the side of the pan.
- Take the 1/4 cup melted butter and brush over the top of the dough next sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over butter then add the cinnamon on top last.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Take out of oven and allow to cool, if you eat it right away it will be a hot mess, but still delicious.
- Or you can place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to chill.