I never considered fasting until 20 years ago. It was a foreign concept that I thought only religious zealots did. A friend of mine explained the health benefits of fasting and I successfully completed a 2 day fast. At that time I only focused on getting through the 2 days without eating. I can only describe my mindset as a person crawling through the desert sand towards the water. My heart and mind were not into the experience.
I then began fasting one day annually for spiritual reasons. As I learned more about living a healthy lifestyle I realized I had abused my body for years. Therefore, I became more convinced of fasting wholeheartedly. I read an inspiring book and decided to try again with a different heart and mind. At the time I was hypoglycemic and dealing with digestive issues. I wanted to reset my organs and give them a rest. My personal fast included water only and lasted 30 days. During that period of time, I continued cooking for my family, gardening, exercising and living my normal life.
The first three days were the most difficult as my stomach tried to convince me I was starving and I needed food. I won’t lie, the most difficult was smelling food cooking. My new mindset was more determined and I made it through those days. The final results of my fast, I was no longer hypoglycemic and my digestive issues were no longer a problem. I can only suggest if a person is interested in doing a long-term fast that they consult a doctor. Fasting for shorter periods of time is the best way to start. Listed below are the health benefits of fasting. If nothing more, I hope this article is “food” for thought.
- Eliminates toxins through the colon, lungs, lymph glands, liver, kidneys and skin
- A decrease in Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
- Weight loss
- By ridding the body of toxins, you increase your energy level
- Reduces inflammation: By ridding your body of toxins you will naturally reduce the inflammation
- Spiritually Enlightening: Again with toxins being eliminated
- Self Control: You experience more self-control by avoiding your natural desires to eat
- Eliminate Health Issues: By resetting your organs and allowing them to rest you can overcome diseases in your body
If you have certain health conditions you may need medical supervision. You may not even be able to fast at all. If you are a person who has exposed their body to toxins for years, like smoking. Fasting may help eliminate those toxins from your body and rejuvenate your life.