Whether you have seasonal affective disorder, a vitamin D deficiency, or are just getting down being cooped up inside all winter long, you are not alone in feeling the winter blahs. For those of us in areas that get cold, gray, rainy and even snowy, winter can cause depression and a lack of motivation. This is a time when we need to pay particular attention to our immune system, and ensure we are getting adequate vitamins and minerals to keep our energy up. But we can also harness the power of aromatherapy to lift our spirits, and put a spring back in our step.
Using herbs, flowers, fruits, and essential oils in a hot bath can do so many things, including energize you, relax you, and remind you of the spring and summer months you are probably dreaming about. So, raid your kitchen and your herb and oil collection to create a perfect bath to keep you going through a sad winter.
How to Add Awesome to your Bath
Create your perfect bath using one of these three methods:
- Bath sachets – This uses cheesecloth to bundle up your herbs and spices, and is dropped into the bath while filling. You could also use a large tea ball, and in fact, they do make extra-large ones just for this purpose. With a sachet, you generally want to use whole ingredients,
such as lemon or orange slices or peels, whole flowers, and cinnamon sticks. You can add essential oils if you wish, mixing them with the whole herbs.
- Bubble baths – You can add your herbs and spices to your favorite bubble bath, whether that is one you purchase or make at home. Generally, essential oils work best, adding 10-30 drops total of all your oils combined.
- Bath salts – Adding herbs and spices to bath, sea, or Epsom salts works perfectly, and has added detoxifying effects too. With the salts, you can add whole herbs and spices, ground herbs and spices, and/or essential oils.
- Warming Bath – Or as I like to call it, “Hot N Spicy”! This can help you chase away the cold. Use any combination of orange slices or peels, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, or whole cardamom. Or orange, bergamot, cinnamon, or clove essential oils. You could also use pumpkin pie spice, which most of us have in the cupboard from the holiday baking frenzy.
- Flowery Bath – This one reminds you of the warmer days ahead. Use any combination of essential oils or whole flowers of lilac, rose, jasmine, lavender, or any other safe flower you have. I use my lilac oil that I made earlier this year, which smells simply divine and keeps my skin soft.
- Energizing Bath – Use this one to get your creative juices flowing. Combine essential oils of lemon, rosemary and vanilla, or use lemon peels or slices, rosemary leaves and a vanilla stick.
- Relaxing Bath – To help you relax a bit more during this stressful season. Combine lemon balm herb, oatmeal, and lavender or jasmine flowers or essential oil to feel refreshed and calm. Add a tablespoon or two of honey for extra skin moisturization.
The combinations are virtually endless, once you start adding different scents into the mix. So when the winter blues push you down, fight back with a treat just for you! Sit back, breath in these wonderful scents, and know that spring is on the way.