No matter what you want to call this salve, it truly works. Creating a salve that is going to meet your family’s needs is the important thing. After reading many recipes online I came up with an ingredient list that would suit my family’s needs. When I garden and work outside I get cuts and scratches on my hands. My husband and sons are carpenters and have a tendency to get sore muscles and joints. Occasionally, there will be a need for an antibiotic salve. My daughter is a sports equine massage therapist, bumps and bruises come when working with horses. As you can see I needed a salve that would be good for sore joints, muscles, sprains, strains, bruising, cuts, scrapes and has antibiotic qualities. I put together a combination of these oils to create our perfect Healing Salve.
- 1 cup of Coconut oil (Almost 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil is 12-carbon lauric acid. Lauric acid can kill harmful pathogens like bacteria, viruses and fungi.)
- 1 cup of Olive oil (Loaded with nutrients and antioxidants to help repair damaged skin.)
- 5 tablespoons Vitamin E oil (Antioxidant that helps repair skin and reduce scarring.)
- 10 tablespoons Beeswax (Beeswax provides slight anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities which can benefit the body.)
10 drops each:
- Plantain – Used for insect and snake bites. It has antibiotic and anti inflammatory properties and anti itching properties.
- Comfrey – Known to the Native Americans as “bonesetter”, the plant contains the molecule allantoin, which is thought to stimulate cell growth and repair while also depressing inflammation.
- Lemongrass – Antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties
This recipe makes (4 – 5) 2 ounce jars. I used baby food jars. You can place an ad locally asking if anyone wants to get rid of their jars. You would be surprised how many people save them thinking they will do something with them and yet they never do.
Making your own healing salves can benefit you and your family, but they can also make great gifts. If you place them in lip balm tubes you have a great first aid salve that you can take with you everywhere. Be creative and have fun with this recipe.