By Emily Pham
Shoulder pain is one of the common symptoms of many different ailments. If not treated at the root, the pain makes the patient not only fatigued but also seriously affects the quality of life. Pain relievers only help relieve pain temporarily and can not treat thoroughly. Accurate diagnosis and proper treatment are the effective solutions to cure shoulder pain.
Causes Of Shoulder Pain
• Shoulder stiffness
Shoulder stiffness or the inflammation of the shoulder joint causes it to become hard, painful and difficult to carry out normal shoulder movements. This condition occurs when the soft tissue surrounding the shoulder joint is thick and swollen, causing the joints to become hard and unable to move.
• Compression syndrome
There is pressure or rubbing between the bones and the shoulder muscles. When the synovial fluid pouches, the shoulder muscles or ligaments are inflamed, the pain will appear.
• Shoulder ligament pain
Shoulder ligament pain occurs when the structures around the shoulder muscles are over-compressed causing the muscles of the shoulder and ligaments to become inflamed and swollen.
• Torn Shoulder muscles
The tear in muscles of the shoulder occurs when there is a tear in one or more ligaments in the muscles of the shoulder joint. It can be the trauma of falling, colliding or over-exercising. The shoulder aches and the arm becomes weak when performing movements such as lifting a hand or raising a hand higher than the head.
Shoulder dislocation is the most commonly encountered condition. The activities such as suddenly using hands strongly, heavily working or excessively exercising will cause two sides of the joints in the arm bones to separate from the bone cavity. When the shoulder is dislocated, the patient will often feel a sharp pain in the area surrounding the shoulder joints.
Shoulder Pain Is More Common At Ages Below:
• With the elderly, immune system, musculoskeletal system and motor capacity all diminish.
• People such as programmers, accountants, architects, and so on also often suffer from shoulder pain due to the frequency of sitting in front of the computer for too long and doing fewer activities.
• People who regularly play sports, especially swimming, volleyball, basketball, tennis, etc., often exercise excessively the shoulder joints. This then causes the ligaments to stretch and fail to hold the joints. As a result, shoulder pain appears.
How To Self Diagnose Shoulder Pain At Home
The symptom of shoulder pain is very obvious. Firstly, it is pain in the shoulder. You can diagnose whether you have shoulder pain or not with the simple information below.
1. Arm Contraction
If you are suffering from purely shoulder joint pain, you will feel pain after excessive joint motion or after consecutive traumatism in the shoulder joint. The pain is mechanical, which increases when conducting the contraction of the arm but does not cause any limitation in joint motion. Besides, when pressing on the attaching point of the biceps tendon of the arm you will feel the pain. How to diagnose the pain: Sit on a chair, have someone raise the arm of the painful shoulder parallel to the floor then slowly have the arm bent as much as possible. If you feel intense pain without the difficulty in the arm joint movement, the test is positive.
2. Swollen Shoulder
If shoulders are swollen and hot, which can be seen through the swelling of the above arm surface, you are suffering from acute shoulder pain. This is due to the inflammatory fluid bag. To confirm more about the affliction, the patient feels the shoulder pain occurring suddenly and violently, even causing insomnia. The pain spreads through the whole shoulder and neck, down to hands. The patient may even have a mild fever and reduced shoulder joint motion. The arm posture presses against the body and is difficult to perform hand movements.
3. Lifting Shoulder
You stand straight then try to lift your shoulders as high as possible. If you cannot lift your shoulders and feel severe pain accompanied by crackling, you have shoulder joint paralyzation. With this kind of shoulder pain sometimes bruises appear on the arm a few days after the pain starts. The patient’s movement is clearly limited and they hardly make active movements but can make passive ones.
4. Raising Hand
The patient stands straight and has someone stand behind to watch. Next, the patient slowly raises the hand upwards as high as possible. If you look at the patient from the back and seeing that when the patient raises the hand up, the shoulder blades move in the same block as the arm bone, the shoulder joints are rigid. With this situation, the patient will feel mechanical shoulder pain and in some cases, it happens at night. There is also a limitation in hand moving both actively and passively, especially spreading and rotating the hand.
5. Rotator Cuff Tear
You sit straight on the chair then relax your shoulders. Have someone raise the arm of the painful shoulder horizontally and parallel to the floor and let it go. If you cannot maintain your hand’s parallel position and let it drop unintentionally, your rotator cuff is torn. The other symptoms are a pain when lying on the sore shoulder, raising, lowering, or rotating your arm or moving your shoulder.
The shoulder pain somehow affects or even limits our activities and bring us a lot of painful sensation. The above gives you some basic information about should pain and how to easily self-diagnose it at home. Below are some home remedy options. If you start feeling a little bit painful on your shoulder, you should stop doing what causes shoulder pain like doing the gym. If you frequently experience should pain, it is best for you to meet a doctor for the early treatment and avoiding later severe complication. The problem is not too serious of one to treat thoroughly, so you should pay attention to it and find the best method to eliminate it.
How To Treat Shoulder Pain At Home
1. A Remedy From Baby Jackfruit Seeds Soaked Wine
This is the way to cure shoulder pain and neck pain from folk and has been used a lot. According to research, baby jackfruit seed contains 1.8% of tannin, 16.6% of protein, 2.8% of cellulose, 55.3% fat, and many other minerals that work to treat arthritis and wounds very well. The way to make this remedy is quite easy to follow.
• Prepare ripe baby jackfruit seeds, remove the red intestine then bake the shell
• Peel the hard outside of the seeds
• Place baby jackfruit seeds that are peeled into a glass jar
• Flooded with 45-degree white wine and cover the glass jar
• After one week, this wine can be used, let’s use it to massage into painful shoulder areas
• Massage for 5 to 10 minutes to feel the effect and relieve pain level quickly
In addition, this remedy also has the effect of treating toothaches, pharyngitis, gingivitis and fang bleeding. According to many researchers, soaked baby jackfruit seeds are equivalent to bear honey and do not contain toxins, so it is totally safe for use.
2. A Simple Remedy Mugwort With Salt
Mugwort is used a lot in treating osteoarthritis. Particularly, it has been used by folk as pain relievers for the neck, lumbar and shoulder. To follow the method, all ingredients you need to prepare are just mugwort and salt.
• Place a handful of washed mugwort leaves in the pan on low heat, add 2 teaspoons of clean salt then stir them till the salt turns yellow
• Take a fabric bag 30cm long and 15cm wide, place the mixture of mugwort leaves and salt into the bag and use it to rub on the painful areas
• When the mixture cools down, pour it back into the pan and continue to heat it and then additionally rub for 1-2 times
3. Medication With Alum, Dried Onions, And Oranges
This remedy is very little known, but it is really effective for pain relief. You should give it a try for the shoulder pain treatment for your case.
• Take an orange and cut off the head
• Pierce a part of the orange and then place alum and a dry onion into it
• Put the orange on the stove and grill it until seeing the black shell
• After baking, cut the orange into slices and put them on the painful shoulder ( be careful to avoid burns)
• Perform the way for about 5 – 10 minutes, you will notice the pain significantly decreased.
4. Relieve Shoulder Pain In Japanese Way
This is a remedy recommended by a Japanese doctor to help relax the neck and relieve shoulder and neck pain quickly.
• Lie on your bed, take a long, thin cloth or towel and curl it up. Then place it on the shoulder blades. If the towel is placed under the left shoulder, let the right arm placed on the left shoulder, the right arm should be perpendicularly positioned then relax the body
• Hold the posture for 10 seconds; you can feel the muscles of the rigid shoulder are loosened. Continue with the right shoulder.
• Perform the exercise for several times a day, preferably in the evening before going to bed and after waking up.
About the Author
This guest post is by Emily Pham, a blogger with many years of experience in searching the best natural home remedies for beauty and health issues.