Are you living a sustainable or natural lifestyle? You will be excited to learn the construction and remodeling industry is finally catching up to “Green Living”. According to National Association of Homebuilders’ report, Green and Healthier Homes: Engaging Consumers of All Ages in Sustainable Living. “Nearly one-third of home builders (31%) report that they are currently doing more than 60% of their projects green, and over half (51%) expect to be doing that level of green work by 2020”. What does that mean to the average homeowner? Homeowners have the option to choose from different construction/remodeling companies. Therefore, they have more eco-friendly choices. With more competition comes prices being more affordable.
Many homeowners are seeing an increase in the interest rates on mortgages for 2017. This is causing a slow down on the new homes purchased. More homeowners are now instead, considering “green” remodeling. Below are some ways you as a homeowner can incorporate sustainable remodeling ideas into your home.
2017 Sustainable Indoor Remodeling Trends
- The Pantone Color Institute chooses a Color of the Year every year. The color for 2017 is Greenery. This rich color can give you a sense of nature in your own home.
- Give your bathroom an organic touch by using some more earthy elements. Stone wash basins, vanity counters, and stone tiles will bring a more natural feel to your bathroom.
- Natural lighting is also making a comeback in 2017 with sun tunnel skylights and motorized shades. By adding natural light to your home, you decrease the energy needed to light your home.
- The news of the lead-tainted water crisis in Flint, Michigan has raised awareness to a nationwide level in 2016. Home water filtration systems are on the rise. Homeowners are finding the importance of chemical free clean water for their family.
- Rather than building additions to the home people are rethinking more efficient ways to add more room to their home. Dead walls, attics, and basements are areas you can remodel to add space.
- Reclaimed and repurposed materials are becoming popular choices to use for remodeling in 2017. These materials are ways to remodel with a more sustainable mindset.
- Cork is the perfect sustainable material for your home. It is trending this year as homeowners are realizing this natural antimicrobial material helps eliminate toxins.
2017 Sustainable Outdoor Remodeling Trends
- Take the sustainability to the outdoors of your property. “While a perfectly manicured grass lawn was once the ideal, 2017 is bringing change. Now native, drought-tolerant and low-maintenance plants are replacing some of that turf”, says Borst Landscape & Design.
- Garden Roofs are coming into the suburbs after being an urban trend globally. Depending on the type of roof you have, this may be an option to expand your garden “up”.
- Alternative energy was once a luxury due to the high cost. However; with the decrease in cost, more people are looking into wind and solar power for their homes.
If you are trying to live a more sustainable, organic or natural lifestyle consider the space in which you live. As a homeowner, you can make eco-friendly improvements to your home. You can be more earth conscience and live a healthier lifestyle.