Yes, I’m a chocolate girl but I also want something that is easy to make, healthy, and actually tastes good! So, I did my research on the necessary ingredients for this recipe, then tweaked it to fit my lifestyle. It’s vegan, which I’m not technically a vegan myself, but I enjoy this recipe because it’s healthier than other cake recipes and super easy. Here’s the recipe for an amazing vegan chocolate cake.
- 1 1/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (use what you wish if you require gluten-free)
- 1 Cup Organic Cane Sugar (you can use what you want but I used Stevia/Truvia for fewer calories; this translates to 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Aluminum-Free Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil (substitute applesauce)
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
There’s really no wrong way to combine these ingredients; you can’t mess it up!
Chocolate Glaze (optional but highly recommended!):
- 1/2 Cup Organic Cane Sugar (If using Stevia read package for substitution quantity)
- 2 Tbsp Organic Non-Dairy Milk (coconut, almond, soy or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 4 Tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Butter (or vegan butter of choice)
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Personal touch: I’ve even added a teaspoon of ground instant coffee for a nice little kick!
- Put all cake ingredients in a bowl and mix using a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Grease an 8″ or 9″ cake pan with coconut oil and dust with flour.
- Bake at 350ºF for 22 minutes (but gauge this for your own oven and the pan size).
- While cake is baking make the chocolate glaze and set aside.
- Check for doneness with a toothpick.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, remove cake from pan and pour the glaze over top, cut, serve, and ENJOY!